Choosing a dining table can be a big expense and not something to just pick out on a whim! There are lots of things to consider. Budget, space and occasions. I’ve been seeing a lot of dining spaces using oval tables of late on Pinterest. From modern dining spaces to be using in kitchen banquettes. And I really like the shape and style it brings to the room.
An oval table is a little softer on the eye and easier to navigate the surrounding space without any sharp corners. It could be the perfect table shape to work in to your dining area.
Choosing an oval table gives you the length of what a rectangular table can give you. But with the flexibility of a round table. You’re able to fit a few more chairs round if needed and the shape gives it a bit more intimacy and softness about it.
An oval table is sure to make a statement piece for your dining area as it should be! As it’s the main focal point for the eating space. The oval shape is different and unique. It is definitely an impact piece of furniture and creates visual interest as it helps break any harsh edges in the space.
If you like entertaining then an oval might be the best option for seating more people. Particularly if it has extension leaf. Style and practicality all in one! Remember to allow space for the length of the table when its fully extended so its fits in the room and not just it’s standard size. You want to be able to use it when needed!
Inspiration Breakfast nooks: Oval tables
A bay window is a perfect space to create a breakfast nook. And an oval table is a practical way to sitting the most people around the table. As well as making the most of the view!
Transform a kitchen niche into a cozy dining space with a bench, a table and a couple of stools. Add your own personal touch with some wall decor.
An all white oval tulip dining table creates a calming and fresh dining area at home.
Start off your mornings to breakfast in a beautiful and simple Scandinavian nook.
inspiration Dining Spaces: Oval Tables
Instead of pulling the table up to your built in bench, create two seating zones if you have the space. Like this beautiful dining room from Mindy Gayer Design. I think this is great idea if you have kids, who quite often asked to be excused from eating their dinner early. They can plop themselves down on the bench away from the table.
Oval Dining Table Sizes
General sizing for oval tables:
- 4 feet (48 inches) seats 4 people
- 5 feet (60 inches) seats 6 people
- 6 feet (72 inches) seats 6 people
- 8 feet (96 inches) seats 8 people
- 10 feet (120 inches) seats 10 people
Choosing Your Oval Table: Top Tips
- Assess the space your dining table is going. Is it a formal room or is it going to be part of a more open area where every resides on a day to day? This will determine what material is going to be best for the table.
- The base of the table plays a key role in how many people you actually fit at the table. A pedestal base is generally situated in the middle of the table so its out of the way and doesn’t interfere with the seating.
- When it comes to choosing the chairs to go round your oval table always remember to measure the height of the chairs. Especially if you’re considering dining chairs with arms. The chairs need to fit underneath the table.
- Also the visual weight of the chair is important. The scale and size of the chair, you don’t want it looking to big and heavy with the table.
- Remember to account for the space needed either side of the chairs. To leave room for you and your guests to get in and out without banging arms and elbows!
Best Oval Dining Tables
1 Nero Oval White Marble Table | 2. Gilda Oval Dining Table | 3. Lincoln Park Extendable Dining Table | 4. Giselle Oval Dining Table | 5. Benedict Dining Table | 6. Orlando Dining Table | 7. Leah Dining Table | 8. Beth Oval Dining Table | 9. Taplin Metal Base Dining Table
Having anything in black and white is going to be a classic piece. A white marble top and black tulip base gives this table a modern edge. But it will be always be timeless!
With a rounded top and curved table legs and all in wood, the Gilda table has a soft and inviting look to it.
Extendable dining tables are great for having those big family dinners. The traditional style Lincoln table is sturdy table for all the extra members gathered around it.
If you’re wanting to maintain a light and open feeling in your dining room then this dining table from McGee & Co is a great option.
I love the ribbed detail on the legs of this elegant dining table. It’s elegant and modern.
This table has a family feel about it. You can use it for a breakfast nook or your main dining room.
The Beth dining table comes in three colours. A natural finish, black and white. The natural finish is great for a modern Scandinavian design.
This table is great for smaller spaces because of the openness of the base and its size. It can fit four to six people and it’s definitely a beautiful and unique table.
It’s also available in a black and bronze finish.
Choosing the right furniture pieces for your space may take some time. But once you find the right piece its worth the time and the money!