Nowadays we’re seeing a lot more companies promoting a sustainable or eco-friendly aspect of their business. From clothing giant H&M to the designer watches at Nordgreen. Eco-friendly and sustainable home decor is also on the increase with companies like Ikea aiming to increase their eco-friendly collections for the future.
Our home space is constantly giving us messages in some way or another. It affects our well being and general mood just by how tidy it is or isn’t.
What’s in our homes matters.
Shopping sustainable can be another minefield in itself. With more than just the actual products to look in to. What about the company’s processes? How much energy it takes to make the item? What are the shipping costs and what’s the material for the packaging made from? Who are the people who make the items? Are they being paid a fair wage for their work?
There can be a lot to look in to!
With online shopping on the increase even more there’s only so much sustainability you can achieve of course but it’s a start. If you’re looking to do buy sustainable the right way then buying local is the best way!
Here are my favourites for eco-friendly and sustainable items for your home.
12 Eco -Friendly & Sustainable Items
- These beautiful round woven baskets will help keep your home stylish and organized. Handy for a range of storage solutions and decor ideas from planting and storing home items. The baskets are hand woven from palm leaves in Mexico and finished with a leather detail handle.
- If you’re going for a cottage style look in your home these short Ikea curtains are perfect. They’re called the Marielena and the curtains are made from recycled plastic bottles which have been spun into yarn. The pattern is so pretty!
- Bowls made from the coconut shells left over for you to enjoy your morning breakfast in. Totally organic, sustainable and eco-friendly.
- The lovely Savera area rug from Citizenry made from 100% New Zealand wool and handwoven in India. A great neutral base for a Scandi interior.
- Using candles is a favourite for styling and decor, for the scent they give and the many options available. These soy wax candles from P.F. Candle Co are natural and have beautiful glass jars you can keep when the candle is burnt out.
- These cool colour blocked cushions from Linen & Stripes will finish off off your sofa perfectly! The linen for the cushion covers is sourced from Europe and sewn with a faux Nubuck leather. So it’s all vegan and eco-friendly all round.
- For faux flowers this magnolia stem from Bloomist looks pretty close to the real thing. This faux flower stem is one example of their eco faux flower range made from up-cycled fabric and bioplastic.
- A beautiful small open nightstand handcrafted in Indonesia from Mindi wood with a rattan drawer finish. If your bedroom is on the small side this will make great company next to the bed.
- An eco friendly alternative for your lunchbox from the company Nought. A bamboo lunch box instead of plastic.
- Another bamboo item for you! A set of 4 toothbrushes individually numbered for you and the family.
- Ikea always has some great lighting! They’re working on integrating more sustainable and eco friendly home decor into their collections. The Knixhult light collection is one of them, made from woven bamboo. It’s available in the pendant lamp, floor and desk lamp.
- The London based company Mind the Cork whole business evolves around sustainability. Among the collection is this cool planter. Cork doesn’t require trees to be cut down for it’s use which makes it a wonderful material for an eco-friendly product and environment.
Are you trying to shop more sustainable? What are you favourite shops? Let me know and drop a comment in the box below!
- The Best From H&M Home Fall Favourites
- How To Choose The Right Area Rug
- 17 Interiors That Will Make You Fall in Love With Panelled Walls
- 12 Beautiful Eco-Friendly & Sustainable Home Decor and Goods
- 7 Amazing Tips To Start Designing Your Space When Stuck